Wednesday, February 11, 2009

What do you really know about me?


"Tell me about yourself." This is the first thing they ask in an interview, on a first date, when you meet his parents, or just about any other time you meet someone new. For my second attempt at blogging, I want to introduce myself.

I was born in a small town in North Louisiana called Farmerville. Both of my parents, and their parents, and their parent's parents were born and raised near Farmerville. Most of their brothers still live in that area. I am the second child; I have one older sister, one younger sister, and one younger brother. I love my family! I love having two sisters and one brother. I used to be envious of those kids that only had one sibling, but now that I'm older I'm so happy that there were four of us. I can't imagine growing up with only one sibling…those poor unfortunate people!


My dad has had many jobs. He is one of the hardest working men I know…something about a boy raised on a farm. He's been a cop, he worked a bulldozer at the landfill, he sells insurance, and his most recent endeavor is politics (he is a police juror in Union Parish). I am very proud to be his daughter.


My mom is such a sweet, tenderhearted person. She always seems to be in the best mood, no matter what is going on around her. From the time my older sister was born until I was 13, my mom was basically a stay at home mom. Being a mom was something she mastered. During those years, she managed to cook dinner every night (I can't remember ever going out for McDonalds for dinner), and she made most of our clothes. She took her first full time job after having kids when we started private school. Mom always reminded us that our education was most important. I don't think I ever would have made it this far without her.


My mom used to tell us when we were growing up that your sisters will be your best friends. I didn't know what she was talking about until I graduated from college, got married, and moved away from them. She was so right. I wish I lived closer to them so that we could do more stuff together, but that's just not the way things work out. My sisters are my very best friends.


Now for my schooling…I attended Farmerville Elementary School for K5-3rd Grades, Farmerville Middle School for 4th – 7th Grades, Claiborne Christian School for 8th – 11th Grades, and Ouachita Christian School for 12th Grade. I graduated from high school in May 2000. After high school, I started Louisiana Tech University. I got my degree in Finance in August 2003.


I will post an entirely separate blog about how I met Jace, but suffice it to say that we started dating my freshman year of college. We dated about a year and a half, then got engaged. We were engaged about a year, then we got married, on October 18, 2003.

Recently this list thing went around facebook, asking you to tell 25 things about yourself. Below is my list…

1. I was born in a town called Farmerville, where the high school football team is really the Fighting Farmers.

2. I love country music! My favorites are the old stuff from George Straight, Reba McIntire and Dolly Pardon. (and of course any of the old songs my Dad's band plays!!)

3. I ran a cop off the road when I was 16.

4. My favorite food is onions….grilled, fried, sautéed, raw....I can't explain it.

5. One year for my birthday (maybe my 3rd or 4th), my mom made this beautiful bunny cake and put coconut all over the top….I don't think she knew at the time how much I hate coconut.

6. At the age of about 3 my favorite song was "Chantilly Lace" by The Big Bopper and I would sing this in public any time I had the chance. Mom and Dad tell stories of me singing this on stage at the Farmerville Watermelon Festival in front of lots of people. (I was also a big hit at nursing homes).

7. I broke my arm in 3rd grade because I thought it would be a good idea to slide down the banister of the steps leading up to our playhouse. The doctor let me pick out what color cast I got, and I chose hot pink.

8. I got lots of stitches one summer (I was about 7 or 8) when my sisters and I decided to make frog houses with a post hole digger. I nearly lost my right foot when I put it in the hole before Joani was finished digging.

9. I used to share a bedroom with my little sister, and she kept the room a lot cleaner than the boy I share it with now does.

10. In 1988, I was convinced I was going to get another little sister, and was pretty upset when it turned out to be a boy….I didn't know how much fun a brother could be.

11. My favorite day ever is October 18, 2003.

12. I have one ear that kinda comes to a point…sort of like an elf ear. Jace loves to point this out to anyone that will listen to him.

13. I could eat Chick-fil-a everyday. And my order is always the same… "Number 1 with a coke, please."

14. I love playing board games with lots of people. Right now Apples to Apples is my favorite.

15. I watch "The Girls Next Door" when no one else is home. I'm not sure why, I just do.

16. Jace and I are no longer allowed to play Risk, Monopoly, and recently added Checkers…it is just bad for our marriage.

17. My favorite color is green. I just got this really cute bag from Old Navy that says "Green is the New Black" and I love it!!

18. I've never been any good at pointing out a "that's what she said" phrase. I guess my mind doesn't stay in the gutter.

19.My dream job would be where I can wear blue jeans every day, create my own schedule, and bring Lucy and Ella to work with me. (I'm convinced this exists somewhere!!).

20. I kissed Jace first.

21. My favorite vacation I took with my family was during the summer of 2001, when we went to Washington D.C. I was in awe of the Capitol building, and I took a picture of it every time I saw it. When I got home and developed the film, I had about 100 pictures of just the Capitol.

22. I crack up anytime someone says the word "duty." Especially when they are trying to be serious.
23. In college, I moved in with a girl I barely knew, and it ended up being the best decision I ever made! I never had to clean the toilet the two and a half years we lived together…she was the best roommate EVER!! Jon…count your blessings!!

24. I am totally freaked out by real life looking concrete bunnies. I also can't stand it when they put an animal head on a human body (there was a car commercial a few years ago with dog heads and people body…now they have a commercial out for soar throat relief with giraffe heads on human bodies….freaks me out every time!)

25. I named my dog Ella because it rhymes with yella.



Geez…that is a lot of information to throw at you in one entry, but I think you should have a better understanding of who I am after reading all of this.






3 comments:

  1. I can't wait for the entry on how you met Jace!!!! You better put in all the details! Even that one thing that happened before you started dating!! You KNOW what I'm talking about!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your blog title is cracking me up! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just realized that I commented on your first post this morning using Scarlett's account...oh well. Anyway, the Fighting Farmers may be one of the funniest things I've ever read. I literally laughed out loud.

    ReplyDelete