Monday, June 29, 2009

How was Youth Camp?

As many of you know, I spent a week in Orange Beach, Alabama with the youth from my church, First Baptist LaPlace. We had a wonderful time. We took about 35 kids and 7 "adults" (I use that word loosely because we act just like the kids most of the time).

As a kid, I grew up in a Missionary Baptist Church. It was a small church with a youth group that consisted of me, my sisters, and maybe 7 other people. Youth camp was never something I really got excited about. It was just something we had to do. The camp we went to when I was younger was in the middle of Texas, no A/C, and our counselors didn't like for us to go swimming (I guess because someone might be able to see through the XL t-shirt they made us wear over our swim suits??). Not a very pleasant experience.

I find that most churches have a genuine concern for the teenagers in their church, but so often they don't know what to do with them. I'm 27, so I'm only about 10 years older than these kids…and I don't know what to do with most of them! Last year, my husband convinced me to go to youth camp. I must admit, I was a little cautious at first, seeing as how I had no idea what I was in for. Last year we went to a BigStuff Camp in Florida. The music and the speaker were great. All my time spent as a youth, I never really got to enjoy this type of worship. You know, I might have been more into this whole "God Thing" when I was in high school if I had known it could be so much fun.

Well this year, our wonderful youth pastor, Brian, decided that we should try out a Student Life Camp. What a smart guy he is! The speaker for the camp was David Platt. For those who have not read some of my earlier blogs, I love David Platt. He is an amazing speaker, and his ability to use scripture in every word that he preaches is just amazing. His passion for Christ is something that I envy.

He preached a message on finding God's will that left me totally changed. After the week of listening to him, I have been challenged to do things differently.

The worship leader at this camp is one of my all time favorite Christian artist….Todd Agnew. The music he sings is deep, and I love that. It makes you take a look at yourself and challenges you to see things differently. As a worship leader, he was not at all what I expected. It was so much better than anything I could have imagined. He broke down the songs and made us really pay attention to what we were singing…and who we were singing these songs to. At one point he told us not to even sing unless we really mean the words that we were saying. Powerful.



A special "thanks" to the Youth Minister that put these two wonderful trips together. Wouldn't have been the same without you!

2 comments:

  1. ha ha! Those props to the youth minister...love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was "forced" to go to youth camp as a councelor when one of the ladies was unable to go. It was one of the most inspiring worship experiences I've ever had!! Everybody should work with youth sometime during their life. Kids can make you look at things in a whole new way!!!!!

    ReplyDelete