Sunday, September 27, 2009

What do you do for fun?

Well, that's a good question. Recently, as most of you know, I've been doing some running, just for fun. I know, it sounds crazy, and I never thought I could ever be considered a "runner" but I'm having a really good time.


For anyone that has talked to me in the last, um, 6 months, you are probably aware that I'm in the process of training for a half-marathon (Jazz Half Marathon – October 31). I'm really excited about this. The training has been, well, painful, exhausting, and fun. I know…who would have ever thought something so painful could be considered fun. Give it a try and you will know I'm right.


Anyway, so to prepare for this half-marathon, all the books say you should do shorter races prior to the big one, so that you aren't all nerves the day of the race. Jace and I signed up for the Alzheimer's Run/Walk to Remember. I'm glad I did this race, because they are right…you are all nerves. I mean, it's only a 5K, right? I ran more than that four days last week, so why in the world would I be nervous.


So we got up early on Saturday morning to get ready for the race. About the time we were at the door leaving, we noticed that we were wearing the same color shirt. I offered to change clothes (but if you have checked out my earlier blog on running…you will know I have a great deal of love for my blue Nike shirt…we've been through a lot, and I wanted to give the shirt the respect it deserves and wear it to this race). Anyway, we decided we would just go dressed alike. I know, sorta cheesy, but that's just who we are.


So here we are…..Team Raney….prior to the race of course.




I finished the 5K in 32:32, Jace finished in just over 28 minutes (but he didn't train at all last week…so I'm a little upset that he did that well…guys have it so much easier than girls do).


I decided not to take pictures after the race because it was hot and muggy and I was not too pretty, and I only post pictures where I'm sort of nice looking.


Ok. So now on to four weeks of serious half-marathon training. Wish me luck!

2 comments:

  1. Hooray for Team Raney! Soon, we will have you fully indoctrinated into the cult and you will find a third victim and begin adventure racing. I myself started with a 5k back in 2001. Ah, memories. I am so JAZZED for your half marathon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! I am so impressed with you guys! Wish I could get back into races (and even more convince Brian to do some with me!) Good luck and I can't wait to hear how it goes- It will be an awesome experience for sure!

    ReplyDelete