Monday, November 30, 2009

What would I ever do without him?

Ok. So if you have ever read one of my blogs before, you know how much I adore my husband. Well, over the past couple of months, he and I have been able to spend lots of quality time together (plane flight to Russia, week in Russia, plane flight home from Russia, and then a nice long four day weekend). And we managed to spend most of that time together without feeling the need to kill each other (well there was that one incident in the airport, when we had like a 7 hour layover, I was kind of keyed up, and Jace wanted to read his book…hum…other than that though I think we did ok). I know that our days of hanging out together, alone, are numbered. So in honor of this, I'm going to do a blog post just for him. We shall see if he ever reads it (he doesn't really check my blog that often).

I'm not entirely sure what in the world he is doing with me. He's so much smarter, nicer, and funnier than I could ever pretend to be. He really is a great guy! I know sometimes I may not treat him that way (well I forget about his greatness…you know…hehe).



I love spending time with him. He's a lot of fun! And he knows me better than anyone else in the world. He knows what makes me mad (untucking the sheets from the bottom of the bed), what freaks me out (bunnies, birds, and any other scary disease carrying monsters), and he knows what makes me happy (award shows and Christmas tree snack cakes).



I'm not going to consider myself some sort of marriage expert, but I think I've got it pretty good. I mean, we understand that we are not always going to enjoy the same things (I like Grey's Anatomy, he likes Football), and we are ok with that. We also understand that you need to find things you can do together (like train for a half-marathon, or go mountain bike riding). He just really gets me….you know.



Now on to the real reason I'm singing this guy's praises…



Over the Thanksgiving holidays, we decided to stay at our house. This is probably a first. Usually on long weekends and holidays, we are traveling, either to see my parents, or on a trip somewhere. I think this is the first time we have ever spent four consecutive days, with no work, at our own house. Amazing what you can get done in that time. I always wondered how people managed to get so much done around their houses…now I know…you have to actually stay around your house to do them.


This weekend, with my wonderful husband's help, we managed to clean out several rooms in our house. Below is a picture of the new playroom/office. When I was growing up, I had a HUGE bedroom with plenty of space for all my toys (and I shared a room with my younger sister for a while, and the room was plenty big enough for both of us!). The room in our house we have decided to use as our little man's bedroom is rather small. I don't see how he will ever be able to fit all the toys I plan to buy him in just that one room. Because his room is so small, we are going to allow him to take over the formal dining room as well (or any other room in the house he wishes to take over…it's really all his…whatever he wants, right?).




We also cleaned out his bedroom. I will provide more pictures of this later…we are supposed to go pick up the bed later this week. I managed to find time to steam clean his carpets, clean his closet, and wash his clothes, so much fun! Below is a little sneak peak of what we are doing with his room. I wanted the theme to be orange and brown (yes, I’m aware that’s not really a theme, but I don’t care…he’s not a baby, so I don’t want to do a baby theme for him). I found this adorable pillow at Kohl’s last week, and ended up buying the entire comforter set that goes with it. The comforter set is something about Jungle something, but it’s really just a striped comforter with cute accessories….and I like the little brown and orange lion (Note: We are not doing his room in a jungle theme…I just liked this pillow…we are doing brown and orange).




Jace hung some new shelves in my laundry room (if you remember, when my cleaning lady came for the first time, the washing machine walked across the room, taking down one of my shelves…this new setup is so much better than what we used to have!!) I now have room to store all sorts of stuff in there…freeing up closet space for toddler stuff.




We straightened up the guest room (so if someone wants to come visit us, they have a place to sleep). I steam cleaned the rug in the living room, moved all my office stuff to the new office/playroom, and cleaned out a junk drawer in the kitchen (I'm counting this as one of my accomplishments, because we've been in that house for 3 years and I don't think I've ever cleaned out that drawer). Jace even hung a new peg board in the garage and setup a new shelf in there too. Oh, we are well on our way to being about as ready as two people can be to get that little boy! So fun!


So now you see why I'm so happy that Jace picked me. He's been a huge help this weekend and well for the last 6 years too. Such a nice guy. He's a wonderful husband and I think he's going to be a great dad too! I'm so blessed!

2 comments:

  1. I think you have a good handle on marriage and it sounds like a great understanding of parenting, too. It really is ALL theirs. Oh, and can you come clean out one of our junk drawers? That thing about staying at home to actually get anything done is groundbreaking, too. I'm gonna try it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! I'm so excited for you guys and know you will be awesome parents! It's fun to start prepping the house for your little guy...I love the updates. And yes, as we are learning the toys do take over quickly!

    ReplyDelete