Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Can I eat an entire bag of powdered donuts, all by myself?


So, I know this may seem like a strange question to ask. I love powdered donuts, and hamburgers, and fried chicken, and well you get the picture. My love for food does not revolve around vegetables. They are good, but they are no match for a thick slice of cheesecake.

They say that you should not "live to eat" but rather you should "eat to live." What? I like food. I live in South Louisiana where food is a part of the culture. Can you imagine having a family get together that is not centered entirely on food? And on top of being born and raised in Louisiana, I was also born and raised Baptist! Oh there is no hope for me (or my waistline for that matter). Is there any other religion in this world that openly jokes about all the church members being total gluttons? I won't get on that soapbox for now, but really. You get the picture. No hope.

And on top of all of that, it's Christmastime. What do you do during the holiday season…eat, and eat, and then eat some more. It's all so yummy, but man, that's a lot of food!

Lots of people have commented on my running. They say "I can't do it" or "running is too hard." I say "you're wrong!" Anyone can do this! And there are lots of benefits to running…and it's not just so you can eat whatever you want.

I was reading one of my favorite columns in one of my favorite magazines Runners World, called The Newbie Chronicles. It's basically a column written by a guy who is fairly new to running. The author, Marc Parent, is hilarious. You need to go online and check out some of his past articles. I read this month's edition titled "Unexpected Upsides" where he talks about all the benefits of being a runner.

In the end he has this amazing quote, and I just have to share it with you…

"When you sleep, you snore. When you run, you dream."

It's so true. When I'm out on one of my long runs, I have this time to myself. I'm free to think, plan, create to-do lists, and dream.

Below is an excerpt from this article…this is exactly what I'm thinking when I run…

"If I keep this up, I'll never grow old! I'll do a marathon by the spring! I'll never get sick! If I keep going, I'll flush my toxins and my sloth and my temptations and my bad habits! Terrible things will never happen to me! If they do, I'll have the stamina to crush them. If I keep this up, I'll grow better looking with age! I'll be the smartest person in the room! I'll be admired and never envied, respected and never feared, loved and never pitied. If I keep this up I can have hamburgers! Hamburgers!! I can eat chicken with the skin on and fried bread with powdered sugar and sprinkles and extra nuts and chocolate sauce! If keep this up I'll never need glasses or crowns or joint replacements. I won't need surgery of any kind – I'll rewire my DNA and nullify every genetic deficiency! If I keep it going, I can have it all! I already do! If I can keep running and never stop, I'll live forever…"





Note to the Pourciau Family: I'm hoping you read this one! I'm expecting to hear about it every time you stop off at The Hole on Saturday mornings. I'm running just so I can have my two chocolate donuts and my chocolate milk with you on Saturdays!!

2 comments:

  1. Ahhh...we too "run to eat." love it! though I will say that research has shown that runners (and others who workout) are more likely to make better food choices in the long run...perhaps Brian is the exception!! ha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is almost my favorite post ever! The one describing your log run still takes the cake, though. You made me want to run another marathon tomorrow! After June, you better get your babyjogger ready!

    ReplyDelete