Sunday, June 20, 2010

What was your second trip to Russia like? (AKA: Going to get Cohen – Part 2)


New Orleans 2/9/2010 1:14AM
Vladivostok 2/9/2010 5:14PM

 We got to go visit Bogdan today. He hasn't really changed much. I think he's a bit taller, but other than that he looks the same.

He was not happy to see us today. I've never seen him so upset. We got to the hospital around 11:30am and he screamed for the first hour. We tried bribing him with cookies and toys, but nothing worked. He liked to walk up and down the hallway, but he even cried while he was doing that.

Around noon, they brought us food for him. This kid inhaled everything the last time we were here, but not today. He was so upset, he wouldn't let me feed him. I asked one of the care takers to come in and help us. He ate about 4 big spoonfuls, and then screamed some more. So not like him. I really think he was not feeling well. And then towards the end of the day, he started to get sleepy and he screamed some more. Hopefully tomorrow is better. Even with all the screaming, I still think he's the most wonderful little boy on the planet.

We also took our first trip to the grocery store today. Since we are staying so long, we will be cooking for ourselves a lot! I was totally overwhelmed at the store. I got yogurt, milk, water and bread. We will go back tomorrow and hopefully get something to go with my bread. All I wanted today was peanut butter. I LOVE peanut butter! At the store, a tiny bottle costs almost $10 and it didn't look that creamy. How will I ever make it?





____________________


New Orleans 2/9/2010 4:49pm
Vladivostok 2/10/2010 8:49am


Well, tomorrow is our court date! It's our last day as a family of just 2. I still cannot believe we are here doing this! I cannot believe this is actually happening to us. It still feels a little like I'm living a dream. Even after all our hard work and planning, I still have no idea what to expect. Geez.

Yesterday we went and walked around the hotel. It's cold here, but not as bad as we thought it would be. We walked to a nearby park (that was totally covered in snow). It was beautiful. The entire surface of the water on the bay is totally frozen. We actually walked out on it. It's very solid! I've never seen anything like this before in my life. I know the pictures will never do it justice!









 
____________________


New Orleans 2/10/2010 1:21am
Vladivostok 2/10/2010 5:21pm


Today we got to visit Bogdan again. Our last day of visiting him…tomorrow he comes home with us!! Our day was so much better. Bogdan screamed only for about 30 minutes. Jace held him tight and rubbed his back and he finally calmed down. He still didn't want to eat much, but he just let Jace hold him. It was so cute.

After being with us for about an hour, he would sit and play. Todd and Diana, the other couple here from America, sat with us for most of the day and we got to play with their daughter, Isabell.

We played with blocks and the wooden duck. He even let me hold him for a minute or two. Later in the day, we had one of the care takers come try to feed him, because he refused to eat for us.

After visiting with Bogdan, we went back to the grocery store and to the baby store. We loaded up on baby food, formula, and diapers. I'm so happy our coordinator, Irina, told us about what he eats. His poor stomach would be so upset with our food.

We also found out today that the ladies at the hospital are potty training the kids. I don't know how far along they are, but I know he's not fully trained yet. I'm thinking we will just leave that alone for now and start again when we get home.

I can't believe he's coming home with us tomorrow!!

 








3 comments:

  1. I cannot believe these pictures! He looks so different now! And for that matter, so does Jace!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cohen is so very different now...when I look back at that sad face and those skinny legs, I can't help but tear up a little.

    ReplyDelete