Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Have you spent a day with the fish?



This summer, Cohen and I have been working on learning new things. Once a week or so, I will pick a theme and we will spend the day learning about that item. I usually don't go all out like I did for the fish, but this one was easy.

We started the day by a trip to the local pet store (or Wal-Mart). Cohen got to see all sorts of fish there.




While we were at Wal-Mart we picked up some supplies for our crafts for the day. I planned on two crafts, but got crafty later and ended up making three.

First we colored a fish picture...with markers. Not just the color wonder kind, these were the kind that get all over the kid, table, clothes, etc. We had lots of fun with these!


The first craft was a jellyfish. I must give credit where credit is due. This craft came from our most recent edition of Family Fun Magazine (I'm sending our picture in to the magazine in hopes we make it in a future edition…oh yes!). They actually got the idea from a blog. Check it out here. I would highly recommend this magazine to anyone with kids! It's great!!!

Anyway…here are a few shots of Cohen making his Jellyfish, and of course, the finished product. He did such a great job!









After all that fun, it was nap time. During Cohen's nap, his friend Lora showed up to play. Cohen and Lora got to enjoy snack time together…and of course, I served goldfish crackers.



Here is Cohen giving us a close up of the fish cracker.



The fish day just kept getting better! Cohen and Lora made construction paper fish bowls with glue! I don't know if you have ever given glue sticks to a couple of toddlers, but it is a must! I love to see how kids react to things like this. Cohen thought it was chap stick, Lora kept wanting to stick her fingers in it. I got the kind that goes on purple and dries clear, so after a while, no one really knew where all the glue had been spread.





While we were at Wal-Mart, I went down the craft aisle just to see if they had anything with fish on it. I found some foam stickers with an ocean theme. There were so many stickers in it, I figured we needed to spread the joy of fish all over the neighborhood. We packed up our craft and headed to the Pourciau's house.




Cille did not actually take part in the craft project, but she was there watching her big sister so that one day she could make fish crafts as well as Stella.



Ok. So maybe Cille just slept most of the time we were there.

Our day learning about fish was so much fun and we can't wait to have another fun craft day with friends!

2 comments:

  1. You crack me up! What's the theme this week?

    ReplyDelete
  2. umm, why haven't i received an invitation to participate in a craft day? :( this looks like so much fun! that first picture...totally looks as if he's watching the fish & taking notes! *love*

    ReplyDelete