Tuesday, November 23, 2010

What are you doing in your free time?

I've had some free time lately, thanks to my new job as a Stay at Home Mom. I decided to get crafty during nap times and create some stuff for Cohen's room to remind him of where he was born and where he came from.

I visited my Mom a few weeks ago and she was using wooden letters to create her grandkids names for her garage (She has a HUGE garage and lots of wall space for some creativity). Anyway, she was using old maps to cover the wooden letters. It turned out really cute (she actually used and old USSR map to cover Cohen's name). I loved it so much I decided I wanted to do something like that too.

While we were in Russia, Jace and I purchased a newspaper. I decided to use that Russian newspaper to cover Cohen's name. Then I hung two clocks below it, one for New Orleans, the other for Vladivostok. Vladivostok is actually about 16 hours ahead of us, so when I took this picture it was 4:15pm in New Olreans and 8:15am the following day in Vladivostok.


Close up picture of his name. You can see some of the Russia writing.


We also put to gether a frame for a world map. I searched everywhere for a map that had America on the right side and Europe/Asia on the left, but no luck. I wanted it setup that way becasue Jace and I actually flew over the Pacific Ocean to get to Russia. Oh well, this one works. I'm working now to find something I can use to show exactly where Vladivostok is on the map.


And here it is all put together.

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. whoops, accidentally deleted first post but meant to say that you are so talented! What a cool idea!!

    I'm still serious about sending Tristyn to "Mrs. Emily's school" :) Maybe at least we can attend a craft day at the Raney house. I have so much to learn!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I soooooo love it! Please come decorate my kids' rooms. Oh, and I suggest a hollow heart on Louisiana and the cutout that fills it up on Vladivostock. A little girlie, but he does make all our hearts whole.

    ReplyDelete