Friday, December 31, 2010

What did you get Cohen for Christmas?

In my previous post, I listed out the three things Santa brought to Cohen. Jace and I also got him a little something.

It is a tradition in our family to purchase an ornament each year. Jace and I have been doing this since we got married. Many years, this was the only gift we exchanged. This year, Cohen got his second ornament to put on the tree (he got his first one last year, even though he wasn't at home to open it).


He also got several books, including one titled "Russia ABC's." I wanted to give him something to help him learn more about the country where he was born. This is a great book because it takes each letter of the alphabet and assigns it to something in Russia. For example "V" is for Vladivostok, the city where Cohen was born.

He also got some flash cards with the states on them. If you have a 2 year old, this is a must! Cohen already knows 6 of the states and he loves looking at the pictures. Later I can use them to teach capitals, the state motto, flower, bird, etc.


We only got him one "toy." This kid has more toys than he knows what to do with, and he's still at that age where he'd rather play with the boxes. We got him a Buzz Lightyear action figure. He really liked it.



At our home, Santa does not fill the stockings. We requested that Santa allow us to do that because Jace and I still don't really exchange gifts, we just exchange stockings.

We filled Cohen's stocking with Play-doh stuff.






And his very own flashlight!


Lucy and Ella also get a stocking. This year they had new collars in their stocking.


I didn't take any pictures of Jace and I opening our stocking, but they were also stuffed with great gifts!

Funny story about the stockings. I was with Cohen in Wal-Mart one day and decided to get stuff for Jace's stocking. I asked him what we should get for Daddy. He said "Bob," which is Bob the Tomato from VeggieTales. So we went down the movie aisle and they had 4 or 5 VeggieTales movies. He picked one and we got it and gave it to Jace for Christmas. The one Cohen picked was "It's a Meaningful Life." It's sort of a rip-off of "It's a Wonderful Life." Anyway, in the movie the main character has an adopted daughter. If you know the story of "It's a Wonderful Life" you know that the movie is a story of what life would be like for everyone else if the main character never existed (or in this case, made a different decision). Ok, I'm getting to the point of the story...the main character never does get married, and he never has his biological children, and he never adopts the little girl. They show her still sitting in the orphanage. I'm in tears again just thinking about it. Jace and I both were shocked that Cohen picked this movie for him. Where would my Cohen be today if we had not listened to God and adopted the most wonderful little boy on the planet? Oh I don't even want to think about it. I'm so grateful that God has a plan that is so much better than anything I might think up.

No comments:

Post a Comment