Monday, June 27, 2011

Are you really considering homeschooling?

If you read my earlier post where I mentioned homeschooling my child and asked the question “Are you really considering homeschooling?” then this post is for you.

When we brought Cohen home last March, I wanted nothing but to spend every waking moment with him. I had waited for what felt like an eternity for a child of my own and I wanted to spend all my time with him. He's a ton of fun and I love being around him. For financial reasons, Jace and I decided that I would keep my job, only at a part-time basis.

In September 2010, I quit my job for good. It was taking too much time from Cohen and I really felt like God was calling me to be with him more during his transition into the Raney family.

We also enrolled Cohen in a 3 day a week preschool program in September 2010. I wanted Cohen to have the opportunity to socialize with other kids his age. I have mixed feelings now about my decision to do that. I love Cohen's teachers dearly and I think they have done a wonderful job with my son. My regret is that I didn't get to spend more time with him. I guess I was jealous that they got him three days a week, when I wanted him all seven.

In November I took a job as a long-term substitute teacher at the preschool where Cohen went. I thought this would be a great chance to make a little extra money, and to see Cohen at his school. At first I was only supposed to be there a couple of months...and well, I stayed on until May. I loved the kids in my class and I loved getting to spend time with them and teaching them fun things, but I'm sad that I was spending all my time with them and not Cohen. Who knows, maybe one day when Cohen is at big kid school, I may see about going back to teach preschool. I really did love it a lot more than I thought I would.

So to make this long story short, Jace and I have decided to keep Cohen home next year. Our current plan is to have him go one day a week to play and learn, and then spend the other days at home with me. I’ve purchased some homeschool books (I will give more info on those later), so Cohen and I will do school together over the next year.

At this point, I’m sort of considering myself an accidental homeschooling mom. It was never my intention to teach my children at home, but after a lot of prayer and some serious thought, Jace and I feel this is best for Cohen for now. To answer your next question, I have no idea how long we will do this. My plan is to do this for a year, and see how that goes. I have lots of great plans, and I find at times that God laughs at my plans. His plans are so much better anyways!

My goal for the next year is to teach Cohen letters and numbers, and to have a lot of fun along the way. Those things are good, but if he gets nothing else from me this year, I would like for him to have a much better understanding of the love that Christ has for him and the sacrifice that He made just for him. At the end of the day, my most important job as mom and teacher is to make sure Cohen knows Christ.

“Love the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength. These commandments that I give you today are to be on your hearts. Impress them on your children. Talk about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up. Tie them as symbols on your hands and bind them on your foreheads. Write them on the doorframes of your houses and on your gates.” –Deuteronomy 6:5-9

Our first day of official school is today, Monday, June 27, 2011. Say a prayer for us!

3 comments:

  1. Said a prayer for you and Cohen this morning and support you in this decision. Cohen is so blessed to have such great parents!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I mentioned it to you, but we are really thinking about homeschooling the girls. I would love to take a look at the books you got. I'm a little lost of where and how to start. I know Lilly is a year younger but I want to have some kind of structured learning time every day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're hardcore, Raneys. Starting school in June...not sure if I could make it at the Raney home! On a more serious note, we will continue to pray for you guys while being confident that His plan will always succeed.

    ReplyDelete