Sunday, July 10, 2011

How has God changed your life?

A couple of months ago, our Pastor asked us to share a testimony on how God has provided for us through our obedience in tithing. He actually e-mailed both me and my wonderful husband, and before I could ever speak to Jace, he had already agreed to do it. I was totally against it at first. I mean, I do not really love to get up in front of people and talk about myself (now...I could get up and act a fool in front of hundreds of kids for VBS...but in "Big Church"...now that's a totally different story). Anyway, since Jace agreed wholeheartedly and really felt led to share, I gave in and decided I'd do it too.

I decided to post this testimony to the blog for all my blog readers in hopes that it will encourage you to trust God in EVERYTHING, including your finances.

We shared our testimony at our church on June 26. I did the introductions and read the scripture, Jace did the rest of the talking. This is was the plan from the beginning, because I knew I'd be crying by the end. Well, for me, it took reading the second verse to break out in to tears, up on stage, in front of the entire church.

The Pastor took a quick photo of us, prior to the blubbering and tears.




Jace took the time to actually type out what we were going to say, so that we wouldn't forget anything. I read the first part, then the scriptures. Jace covered everything else.
Emily and I were both raised in the church, and both of us were fortunate enough to have been raised by parents that instilled christian values and beliefs. One of the foundations of these values is the tithe to the church. I can never really remember a time when I didn't tithe. My parents made sure that I knew that of anything I earned, God had required 10%. It was never a question of will I have enough leftover, but more like after I give God the 10% he asked for, what will I do with the rest. As a part of our marriage, this has never been questioned.

1 John 3:17

If anyone has this world's goods and sees his brother in need but closes his eyes to his need, how can God's love reside in him?

Isaiah 1:17
“Learn to do right; seek justice.
Defend the oppressed.
Take up the cause of the fatherless;
Plead the case of the widow.”

We were fortunate enough recently to have been able to witness firsthand how God will provide what we need to accomplish His will, if we will simply trust in Him. When we began to look into adoption, we gathered all the data and Emily set out a figure that it would cost. We had been told that the process would take about 2 years to get a referral, so based on our calculations and a 2 year timeline we submitted the paperwork. The “plan” now was to build money for 2 years and we would have enough. Imagine our shock when we got a referral letter within a couple of months, and it was before all of our paperwork had even been submitted. We did not have the money on hand, but we knew that God has put us in this situation and picked out a child for us. So, we stepped out and accepted the referral.
 
There were many times throughout the process it would have been easy to divert our tithe into the adoption fund because God was asking us to adopt after all, but that was not what God has asked. The 10% is separate, and to blend the two would not be following God’s plan. We continued to tithe and somehow at the end of everything, we had enough to cover a process that cost well more than we originally expected.


Having faith is usually the most difficult part of following God’s plan, but we were faithful in our giving and God was even more faithful in His giving. If we were trusting in human terms, Cohen would not be our son today. We would have passed on the referral and waited until we had the money.

Hopefully this will encourage you. God has asked so little of us, and yet He gives us so much! Now that's love!

1 comment:

  1. God bless all three of you. Ya'll are an inspiration to all of us. We couldn't be more proud of you. God blessed us with a wonderful grandson and I pray He will continue to bless your family.

    ReplyDelete