Wednesday, July 6, 2011

What curriculum are you using with Cohen?

There are LOTS of choices out there for curriculum to use with a 3 year old. Geez. It can be very overwhelming. When Jace and I started talking about homeschooling, I started doing the research. I spent hours and weeks on the computer looking up reviews for homeschooling material. I also spoke to some of my homeschooling friends to find out what curriculum they are using.

Each child is different, and I think that's why there are so many choices. No two children learn just alike, so what works for Cohen may not work for you and your children. You have to do your own research to figure that out for yourself.

This year we are using mostly the A Beka curriculum. I taught some of the A Beka stuff last year and I really liked it. Also, Jace and I went to private schools that used this curriculum, so we are familiar with their style. They have curriculum for nursery children and 4 year olds. I went with the nursery items because it teaches letters and numbers. For the 4 year old curriculum, they assume you already know most of that stuff. I am using their Language Development cards, Character development cards, Letter Picture flash cards and the Animal Alphabet Friends Letter cards. As you can see, I'm going with a very visual learning atmosphere. Over the past few months, I have found that Cohen learns best when he can see pictures of things. I can read something to him all day, but until he can see it, he doesn't really get it.

The thing with A Beka is that they have lots of their own story books that you can purchase that help teach different concepts. I didn't want to have to spend more money on literature to read to Cohen and I wanted Cohen to hear some of the classic children stories. So for our reading curriculum, we are going with Sonlight. They have a wonderful reading program that incorporates activities for the books you read. I only purchased the instructors manual (you can purchase all the reading books to go with it...which would be a great addition to any child's library...we opted not to do that for cost reasons. I have purchased some of the books from eBay, but the rest we will just have to check out from our local library).

The only thing I'm lacking right now is a Bible curriculum. Fear not, we are reading a Bible story each week and the A Beka program incorporates God in everything, I just think we need a little more. Right now we are doing a children's devotional each day, and it's working ok for now. I may change that up once we get into a better routine.

So here is a quick picture I took of all flashcards and curriculum books.

No comments:

Post a Comment