Sunday, July 24, 2011

What were Mrs. Wesley's rules regarding raising children?

In my Sonlight curriculum book, there are some really good tips on how to raise children from some really famous mothers. On the first page of the first section they list the 16 rules Susannah Wesley had in her home. I admire Mrs. Wesley, because she raised 19 children, including the famous John Wesley and Charles Wesley. In anything I've ever read about this lady, it is very apparent how she was very God Fearing and she intended to raise her children with that same fear and respect.

I love to read rules and guidelines that women used "back in the day" to see how much things have changed when it comes to raising children. Today we are told to allow our children to express themselves through free will, refuse to disciple because that will break their spirits and not to push our beliefs on our children.

I admire Mrs. Wesley for the example she showed her children. John and Charles Wesley made a big difference in this world and I attribute part of their success to the rules from their Mother. I'd like to set a good example for Cohen, but sometimes I feel like I'm moving backwards. I love having some guidelines to work toward.

So here they are...Mrs. Wesley's 16 House Rules...


1. Eating between meals not allowed.

2. As children they are to be in bed by 8 p.m.

3. They are required to take medicine without complaining.

4. Subdue self- will in a child, and those working together with God to save the child's soul.

5. To teach a child to pray as soon as he can speak.

6. Require all to be still during Family Worship.

7. Give them nothing that they cry for, and only that when asked for politely.

8. To prevent lying, punish no fault which is first confessed and repented of.

9. Never allow a sinful act to go unpunished.

10. Never punish a child twice for a single offense.

11. Comment and reward good behavior.

12. Any attempt to please, even if poorly performed, should be commended.

13. Preserve property rights, even in smallest matters.

14. Strictly observe all promises.

15. Require no daughter to work before she can read well.

16. Teach children to fear the rod.


Tell me, what do you think of these rules? Do you have a favorite?

From her rules it is apparent that her children did not run her home, God did. I hope that in years to come Cohen can look back on his upbringing and say that God was most important in his home and through our teaching, I pray that God will always be most important in his home.

I also like the idea that kids should be in bed by 8pm. I wish that worked everynight for us! Sometimes we are eating dinner at 8pm. Oh well, these guidelines give me something to work towards, right?

1 comment:

  1. Ooh, those were really good. I like the one about not punishing if they tell the truth so as to prevent lying. Oh, and #7 - don't give in to crying but only if they politely ask. We have some days when whining is very prevalent. I think I'm going to print these out for future reference. Thanks! Ok, looking again, I would really like to implement 5 and 7-14, but they're all good!

    ReplyDelete