Wednesday, August 3, 2011

How was your very first triathlon?

Whew...I'm glad it's over! I've been a little nervous about this race for quite some time now, just because swimming and biking is not something I normally do.

I signed up for the RocketChix race thinking it would be a great first triathlon. I was absolutely right. This is a well organized race just for women. The race day was July 30, 2011.

Race day started early, around 4:15am. I got up, got dressed, ate my usual race day meal (bagel with peanut butter) got in the car and headed to Baton Rouge. Jace and Cohen were going as my support staff and Jace's parents were going to meet us there. I'm pretty sure they went to spend time with Cohen, but I'm claiming them as support staff too. My good friend, Scarlett also did this race. I didn't realize it until race day, but Laurie was doing the race as well (and ended up placing! GO LAURIE!).

The race was a 350 meter swim, 12 mile bike, and 2 mile run. I finished in 1:17:59 and I'm pretty happy with that. Looking back, there are some things I would have done differently. I went a little slow on the bike, because I can't really pace myself very well on the bike because I don't ride that often and I was afraid of running out of steam on the bike and not being able to finish the run. Also, I should have pushed it more on the run. I did not feel like I was going to throw up at the end of this race, and if you give it everything you have, you should feel the need to throw up (and I have unfortunately done just that on several occasions after races....usually in the car on the ride back home....but this was not one of those days).

Here are a couple of race day pictures along with a picture of the race results.

This is me just before I got in the water. The swim portion of this race was in LSU's 50 meter pool.


At the end of the race. (Pay no attention to the clock...I started over 40 minutes after the official race start time).


In this particular race there are two divisions, road bike and fat tire bike. I do not have a road bike, only my mountain bike, so I had to race with that bike. In the fat tire division, I ended up #22 overall, out of 115, and I was #7 in my age group. I'm happy with that!

My bike did great! I love my mountain bike, but it might be time to step up and purchase a older used road bike. If you know anyone interested in getting rid of one, please let me know.

1 comment: