Thursday, October 6, 2011

What starts with the letter F?

We are back on track with our homeschool blogs. Jace rescued the memory card from that hungry computer...so now I have pictures to share!

As with all the letters, we had a lot of fun with the letter "F."

Our Animal Alphabet friend for the week was a fish. One of my favorite books about fish is The Rainbow Fish by Marcus Pfister.

We made our own Rainbow Fish.



It turned out so beautiful that I framed it and put it in our playroom.


We also read about the Forest, and then painted a tree in Autumn colors.





We moved on to learning about Flowers. I had intended to get seeds and plant them, then watch the grow, but Wal-mart did not have any flower seeds, and I wasn't in the mood to drive all over town for seeds. We settled for the only flower that Wal-mart had for sale....a mum. I do not love mums, but they are the best flower for planting this time of year, I guess.






After all that flower fun, we moved inside and created a fun flower craft using cupcake holders.


Later that same week, we learned about family. Cohen's first assignment was to draw a picture of his family. I LOVE crafts like this...where he can be totally creative, with no restrictions. I gave Cohen a recent picture of us, to use as a guide. Here we are....


When I asked him to show me where Daddy was in the picture, he said "Daddy has long legs and blue eyes." So Daddy is the two long lines and two blue dots. I'm not quite as long and lean...but I do have a head. The circle with two green dots is me, because I have green eyes. And that pink line and blue dot is Cohen, because pink is his favorite color, and his eyes are blue. Can you see it? Quite creative...I'm very impressed with it!

We moved on to the extended family....Grandparents. We did a fun glueing craft with the faces of Cohen, his parents, grandparents, and great-grandparents.



On the final day of the letter "F", Cohen and I learned about Fire Safety. This is very important for kids his age. We reviewed what to do in case he saw a fire in the house, we practiced "Stop, Drop, and Roll," and we did a mock fire drill.

After all that fun, we did a small craft to build a road to help the fire truck reach the buring house.



Now for our reading list for the week...


The Rainbow Fish by Marcus Pfister
A Walk in the Woods by Christin Couture
The Tale of Squirrel Nutkin (Classic Reprint) by Beatrix Potter
The Ogre and the Frog King by Grégoire Solotareff
Nuts to You! by Lois Ehlert
Fall (Toppers: Seasons) by Nicola Baxter and Kim Woolley
The Berenstain Bears and the Spooky Old Tree by Stan Berenstain and Jan Berenstain
My Daddy And Me by Amy Sklansky and Ard Hoyt
When I Go Camping With Grandma - Marion Dane Bauer and Allen Garns
God Found Us You (HarperBlessings) by Lisa Tawn Bergren and Laura J. Bryant
Mama Mama by Jean Marzollo
Just Grandma and Me (Little Critter) (Pictureback(R)) by Mercer Mayer
Just Grandpa and Me (Little Critter) (Look-Look) by Mercer Mayer
Mama, Coming and Going by Judith Caseley
The Ten Best Things About My Dad by Christine Loomis and Jackie Urbanovic
Your Daddy Was Just Like You by Kelly Bennett and David Walker
The Fire Fighter's Counting Book (Little Golden Book) by Polly Curren
Stop Drop and Roll (A Book about Fire Safety) by Margery Cuyler and Arthur Howard
At the Firehouse by Anne Rockwell

1 comment:

  1. Love the lessons!!!! He's learning so much!!

    ReplyDelete