Wednesday, October 19, 2011

What starts with the letter G?


Our animal alphabet friend for the week was a goat! We learned a lot about goats this week and we did a fun goat craft.





Tomorrow I'm going to show you a little more about how Cohen and I are giving back…and we could use your help.

For now, I will share a few pictures of what we did this week with the letter G.

We learned about gardening, and how it takes soil, water and sunshine to grow a plant. I wanted to take this opportunity to play with dirt in the kitchen. There are so many things you can learn from dirt. I gave Cohen some measuring spoons, a big bowl and some cups and let him play.






It made a HUGE mess...but it was worth it. Cohen had a lot of fun!


We also learned about grocery shopping. I had Cohen go through some magazines and find things that you could buy in a grocery store. After he found a few, we glued them to the letter "G."




And the last project I took pictures of for the week was some garbage sorting. I found this little game online. I think if you click the picture, you can go and print this for yourself.










Finally we had some fun with games, in honor of the letter G. We played Candyland and Memory.






It was another great week at the Raney school! Check back tomorrow for some fun giving opportunities.


Reading List:


The Three Billy Goats Gruff (Folk Tale Classics) by Paul Galdone*
Give a Goat by Jan West Schrock and Aileen Darragh
Beatrice's Goat by Page McBrier and Lori Lohstoeter
G is for Goat by Patricia Polacco My Garden by Kevin Henkes Planting the Wild Garden by Kathryn O. Galbraith and Wendy Anderson Halperin
A Good Day by Kevin Henkes
Goldilocks and the Three Bears by Caralyn Buehner*
G Is for One Gzonk!: An Alpha-number-bet Book by Tony DiTerlizzi
Llama Llama Mad at Mama by Anna Dewdney
Edwin Speaks Up by April Stevens and Sophie Blackall
At the Supermarket by Anne Rockwell
Barn Dance! (Reading Rainbow) by Bill Martin Jr., John Archambault and Ted Rand
Gus and the Baby Ghost by Jane Thayer and Seymour Fleishman
Giggle, Giggle, Quack by Doreen Cronin and Betsy Lewin



*These are book suggestions. I own older copies of these classic fairy tales and they don't sell the copies that I own. Feel free to check out any of the versions for yourself. I'm sure they all tell basically the same story.

No comments:

Post a Comment