Friday, October 21, 2011

What starts with the letter H?

Ok. I'm really behind with my home school posts. I'm going to try to catch up.

Now on to the letter "H."

Our alphabet animal friend for the week was a horse. We read some books about horses, but we didn't actually do a horse craft.

We did do other crafts. We learned that there are four things you need for a healthy body: water, food, sleep and exercise. During that day, we managed to cover all four of those things.

Here is Cohen putting together a puzzle. I got this puzzle from pinterest via 2TeachingMommies. I really didn't know how Cohen would do with this. I've never really done a puzzle like this before with him. The idea is to cut up one page into long strips, and these strips have a number on the end. Then there is another page with only numbers. Cohen had to match up the numbers to complete the puzzle (of course for an older child, you could just cut off the numbers and make it more challenging).


 



I'm so proud of my boy! He did this all by himself!!


Next we learned about houses. I've been trying to make our craft time a fun learning time, as I hope you can see. For this craft, I cut out 6 windows and gave them all to Cohen, but his instructions were to only put 4 windows on the house. For some reason, I didn't take a finished picture of this one, but he did great!! He followed the directions and counted out the correct number of windows.



We did a craft very similar to this last year with some of our best friends. I tried to use the one we did this year as a review of his shapes.




We read Eric Carle's book A House for Hermit Crab and decorated our own hermit crab shell.






Our next lesson was on hummingbirds. These birds are just fascinating! We watched a National Geographic video on hummingbirds and learned all sorts of fun things. We decided to make them a hummingbird feeder (ok...I realize that it is the wrong season for this, but I don't care! It was a fun craft, and maybe it will survive until the spring). I'd love to share where we got this one, but I honestly don't remember. It's basically a deli meat container with holes in the top and a large X cut in the top to hold a water bottle.






Our Reading List for the week:


Wonder Horse: The True Story of the World's Smartest Horse by Emily Arnold McCully
Click, Clack, Splish, Splash: A Counting Adventure by Doreen Cronin and Betsy Lewin
Hip and Hop, Don't Stop! by Jef Czekaj The Napping House by Audrey Wood and Don Wood
Bella and Stella Come Home by Anika Denise and Christopher Denise
A House for Hermit Crab (World of Eric Carle) by Eric CarleHere Are My Hands by Bill Martin, John Archambault and Ted Rand
The Hummingbird's Gift by Stefan Czernecki, Timothy Rhodes, Juliana Reyes De Silva and Juan Hilario Silva
Snow Riders by Constance W. McGeorge and Mary Whyte
Harry & Hopper by Margaret Wild and Freya Blackwood
The Shrinking of Treehorn by Florence Parry Heide and Edward Gorey
The Foot Book by Dr. Seuss

No comments:

Post a Comment