Friday, November 18, 2011

Do you have any manners?

This week we are on the letter "K." I know, I'm a bit behind on my blog posts...but I wanted to jump ahead to share this one thing with you.

We are learning about Kindness this week, and we've had lots of fun learning this important lesson. During our lessons, we read a Berenstain Bears book about Manners. Cohen and I LOVE the Berenstain Bears...and their books usually teach a good lesson.

The Berenstain Bears Forget Their Manners by Stan Berenstain and Jan Berenstain

This particular book was on manners and how Mama Bear was so tired of all her family forgetting how to use their manners. She made a chart, with offences and penalties, for each time you forgot your manners you would have to do a chore. For example, on her chart if you forgot to say "please" or "thank you" you would have to sweep the front steps.

I decided to implement this idea at the Raney residence. Cohen and I have been working really hard on trying to be more polite, and nothing seems to be working. He still commands things, rather than ask politely. He rarely says "please" or "thank you" no matter how many time I try to remind him. I was getting pretty fusterated, because I didn't feel that poor manners was a good enough reason for time out. And if I chose to use time out as the punishment for poor manners, then would he really learn anything? Probably not.

So I made my own "Raney Family Politeness Plan."


Ok. I know that there are lots more things I could add to this list, and I really hope everything is spelled correctly...oh well...too late now.

If you are caught doing any of these things, you draw a penalty. Below is my list of penalties:


  • Do 10 Jumping jacks
  • Write your name 5 times
  • Run in place for 30 seconds
  • Today you get off with a WARNING! Congratulations!
  • Pickup 5 toys.
  • Hop on 1 foot for 10 seconds.
  • Put laundry in laundry room.
  • Wipe off table.
  • Give Mom or Dad a hug and promise to be more polite.
  • Draw a picture of something nice someone else has done for you.
  • Say 1 nice thing to someone else.
  • Choose 1 toy to give away to kids that don’t have much.
  • Listen to Mom or Dad’s music in the car next time we go somewhere.
  • Read a book to Mom or Dad.
  • Draw a picture of you doing something nice for someone else.
  • Pick up all shoes in living room and kitchen.
I know these penalties are really easy, but I have a 3 year old. I can't ask him to clean the attic or mop the kitchen. Maybe if you have an older child, get more creative. Instead of wiping off a table, make them do all the dishes. Just an idea.

I implemented this today, so we shall see how well it works. My goal is to have a more polite child who is grateful for the things others do for him.



1 comment:

  1. Great idea!! Love the penalty box. This would work well at school, too.

    ReplyDelete