Friday, December 2, 2011

Do you love birds?

It is no secret that I'm not a fan of birds of any kind. They just poop on everything and make a mess.

Cohen, however, loves to watch birds. Our neighbor has been feeding the neighborhood ducks for months now (much to my displeasure). Cohen loves to watch those ducks walk through the yard (pooping on everything, I'm sure).

He's also started watching the birds in the backyard. I do not love birds, therefore I'm not someone who is very knowledgable about birds. I have no idea what kind of birds we have in our backyard, and I have no desire to find out. I do love my child, and if he wants to watch the birds, then I will help him out.

A few weeks ago, I went to Wal-Mart and purchased a small bag of bird seed. I decided that Cohen and I would make little bird feeders one day.

We used old toilet paper rolls, peanut butter and bird seed. It's super easy...cover the toilet paper roll in peanut butter, then roll it in bird seed.



Cohen loved the bird seed, so I just let him play in it for a while. I've discovered that nearly anything can be cleaned up, so no reason to stop the messes. If anything, join in!


Here are the finished feeders hanging on the tree in the backyard. For those wondering, they lasted all of a week. The birds killed them, then once they hit the ground, the dogs enjoyed eating what was left. (Also, in this picture you can see that the hummingbird feeder is still hanging out there...not that there have ever been any hummingbirds in my yard, but it's still there if one wants to come by).


I saw a quote on pinterest that said "Please excuse the mess, my kid is making memories." This is a perfect example. My house may look like the inside of a messy bird feeder, but my kid had fun and that's all that really matters.



No comments:

Post a Comment