Thursday, December 1, 2011

What begins with the letter J?

Well, we finished the letter J the second week of November, so I really am bad at updating this blog. We had a lot of fun with this letter.

The weekend before we began the letter "J" was the Annual Valero Family Day. Cohen was actually with his grandparents that day (I'm really sad he missed it, because it was a great party, but I'm sure he had fun with Nan and Pops. We will make sure he can make it to the Family Day next year). Jace and I decided to stop by for just a minute, and good thing we did!! They gave all the families in attendance free zoo and aquarium memberships for a YEAR!

I was not planning to actually cash in on this membership for another week or so, because it just wasn't on the schedule. Well, the beauty of homeschooling is I can change the schedule any time I want! We loaded up about 10 books and headed to the zoo to learn about Jaguars and the Jungle.


In this picture, Cohen is pretending to be in the jungle. Too cute!



And here is Cohen with the jaguar. I LOVE our zoo's jaguar exhibit, because it looks like they are right next to each other...like there is no glass there at all. I love it!


You probably thought I was kidding about doing school at the zoo....well we did!! This particular assignment was to draw a picture of his favorite zoo animal. He drew a goat. (They have goats in the petting zoo area).


Then he colored a lion.



Overall it was a very fun day!!

Next on the agenda: Jellyfish!!

We did some directional drawings...my picture....(I know, it looks like an octapus, but I did my best).


...and Cohen's picture.



Then we made a jellyfish out of tulle and a coffee filter.



We also learned about Jelly, Jam, Jellybeans and JELLO!!


Yum! Who needs a spoon?


We also learned about Japan. We colored their flag and did a fun Japanese Cherry Tree craft.





It was another great week!

Now for our reading list:

Wink: The Ninja Who Wanted to Nap by J.C. Phillipps
Wink: The Ninja Who Wanted to be Noticed by J.C. Phillipps
The Lion & the Mouse by Jerry Pinkney 
The Zabajaba Jungle by William Steig
Junglewalk by Nancy Tafuri
Catching the Wild Waiyuuzee by Rita Williams-Garcia and Mike Reed
Starry Safari by Linda Ashman and Jeff Mack
Archie and the Pirates by Marc Rosenthal
Tiny Little Fly by Michael Rosen and Kevin Waldron
The Jungle Train by Bob Reese
Skippy Jon Jones by Judy Schachner
Skippy Jon Jones, Class Action by Judy Schachner
Jack and the Beanstalk (A Little Golden Book) by Stella Williams Nathan
Making Plum Jam by John W. Stewig
Jitterbug Jam by Barbara Jean Hicks and Alexis Deacon
Jamberry by Bruce Degen
If You Give a Moose a Muffin by Laura Numeroff and Felicia Bond

No comments:

Post a Comment