Monday, March 5, 2012

What do your clothes feel like?

Mine feel just heavenly! As mentioned in an earlier post found here, I’m trying to make our own cleaners at the Raney home (and saving a ton of money while I’m at it). I guess you could say I’m taking this whole stay-at-home mom thing to the extremes.

This past week, I made my own laundry softener. As many of you know, I do not love for my clothes to have a super strong smell. When you workout in clothes that are drenched in heavy perfumes, the sweat begins to magnify the perfume smell. Your body is already being pushed to the limits with your workout, you don’t need a strong smell to upset your stomach.

When I made my own laundry detergent a few weeks ago, I started adding vinegar to each load just to see what would happen. I could tell the clothes were softer, and they didn’t smell like vinegar. They really didn’t smell at all.  Last week, I washed two loads of towels (I was REALLY behind with laundry, because this is my least favorite chore). With these loads of towels, to test to see if the vinegar actually makes a difference, I just used the laundry detergent in one, and put detergent and vinegar in the other. (The vinegar goes in the “fabric softener” cup in the washing machine. This is built into my 8.5 year old washing machine that likes to walk around the laundry room. if you don’t have a specific spot for fabric softener, I understand a downy ball works as well.) I could totally tell a difference! The towels washed with the vinegar were so much softer. The others were a bit stiff. As for the smell, they smelled about the same. I couldn’t tell a difference there.

After this little experiment, I decided that the vinegar actually works! And I wanted to have the opportunity to make some of my clothes (sheets, towels, jeans, etc.) smell a little better, by adding something to the vinegar. This is where pinterest come in handy.

I found a pin on pinterest (surprised I’m sure), and they gave directions on how to make your own fabric softener using vinegar and conditioner.


In the pin above, she made a lot of fabric softener. Since I wasn’t sure I’d like it, and I didn’t want to waste all my vinegar, I halved her recipe.

IMG_2241-001
 
Fabric Softener
(Makes about 1.5 qts)
3 cups warm water
1 1/2 cups white vinegar
1 cup hair conditioner (I used white rain ocean breeze, because it was on sale for $1).
Combine all ingredients in a large bowl and whisk together. Pour into container, and enjoy.
I use about 1/4 cup per load of laundry.

IMG_2242

So far, I love it! My clothes/sheets/towels are soft, because of the vinegar, I guess. And they have a nice fresh ocean smell too.

I’d strongly suggest you try this for yourself.

1 comment:

  1. Fabric softner is so expensive. Thanks so much - will definitely try this recipe!!!

    ReplyDelete