Saturday, March 3, 2012

Would you like a tart?

Cohen loves to read! Sometimes I wonder why he loves it so much, and I think it’s because he can learn about different foods that exists that without books he would never know about.

A few weeks ago, Cohen and I were reading Jack and the Beanstalk. Well at the end of this book, Jack enjoys a Strawberry Tart with his mom. Cohen immediately informed me that he needed a Strawberry Tart. We all know that I’m not the baker in the family, that title belongs to my wonderful husband. I told Cohen that he had to ask his dad. As soon as Jace made it home that afternoon, Cohen informed Jace that he needed to make a Strawberry Tart. Jace was all for it.

Disclaimer: I was out of the house during the making of these tarts. I’m basically writing off of the stories Jace and Cohen have told me. Jace did a wonderful job documenting the baking process, and Cohen did a great job making the tarts.

This is Cohen with the Jack and the Beanstalk book, notice in the picture Jack is eating a Strawberry Tart.

2012 01 28_Strawberry Tart_0051
Ingredients
  • 12 (4 inch) prepared tart shells, baked
  • 2/3 cup white sugar
  • 2 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch
  • 1 pinch salt
  • 1 cup apple juice
  • 3 cups fresh strawberries
Directions
  1. To Make Glaze: Blend the sugar, cornstarch, and salt; stir into apple juice. Cook over a medium heat, stirring constantly until smooth and thick. Allow to cool for 10 minutes.
  2. Spread a small quantity of the glaze over the bottoms of the shells. Arrange washed and hulled fresh berries over the glaze, slicing if necessary to fit into the tarts. Spoon remaining glaze carefully over the berries, covering them well. Chill for 2 to 4 hours. Serve garnished with whipped cream if desired.

Even though this is not in the directions listed above, I’m guessing the first step is to cook the pie crusts. Cohen is using the fork to make small holes in the crust. Not sure exactly what this will accomplish, but I’m sure these boys know what they are doing, right?

2012 01 28_Strawberry Tart_0054

Look at that adorable little apron and oven mitt. Thanks Nan and Pops for that cute outfit! There is a hat that goes along with it….not sure what happened to it.

2012 01 28_Strawberry Tart_0058

2012 01 28_Strawberry Tart_0060

I’m sure you can see why this picture makes me VERY nervous, but I guess it’s never to early to teach them about oven safety.

2012 01 28_Strawberry Tart_0061

While the pie crusts were baking, Cohen cut up the strawberries with his little knife. He cut up EVERY strawberry used in the tarts.

2012 01 28_Strawberry Tart_0063

2012 01 28_Strawberry Tart_0064

Notice, the pie shells are done and they are moving on to the sauce.

2012 01 28_Strawberry Tart_0066

That sauce is HOT! Oh my, again, it’s probably a good thing I wasn’t there. Jace is so good with things like this and he’s so relaxed. Cohen filled every pie shell with sauce, then he put all the strawberries on top.

2012 01 28_Strawberry Tart_0069

2012 01 28_Strawberry Tart_0074

All that hard work really pays off in the end!

2012 01 28_Strawberry Tart_0078

Yum! We did get whipped cream, I’m not sure why Cohen decided not to eat it on his tart. He probably asked Jace to just squirt it directly into his mouth…he loves that!

2012 01 28_Strawberry Tart_0082

I’m so proud of my boys! Cohen did a wonderful job helping and I’m sure he learned many valuable lessons along the way.

Note: I assure you this was all done in the same day. I realize that Cohen went through 3 shirts in the process...but it is all the same day. You can see why I can't keep up with our laundry!

1 comment:

  1. I would love a tart - especially if it's made by two of my most favorite people!!! Cohen is learning such valuable lessons without even realizing it. You two parents are amazing!!!

    ReplyDelete