Monday, April 2, 2012

Do you need a redo?

I’ve been cleaning out and trying to get organized. It’s a never ending job, but someone’s got to do it.

While cleaning, I pulled this old chest of drawers out of one of our closets. I was using it to hold sewing supplies, homeschool cards, and lots of other junk. I kept it hid in the closet, because it didn’t look very pretty. I don’t have anything “natural” wood colored in my house, so it matched NOTHING. It was in desperate need of a redo.

IMG_2571

I purchased some dark walnut spray paint from the local hardware store and got to work.

IMG_2574

We returned to the hardware store a couple of days later to get some new drawer pulls. I let Cohen pick them out, he calls them “noodles.”

IMG_2606

It’s not going back in the closet anymore! It’s serving as a bedside table for me! Look at all that storage potential!!

The total project cost me about $20 (could have been cheaper, but I ended up using about 1.25 cans of spray paint, which means I had to purchase 2 cans).

What to do with all that extra spray paint? Find something else to redo!

We’ve had this UGLY table for FOREVER! It was some of Jace’s college furniture that we never really upgraded. We’ve always needed it. For years it served as Jace’s side table in the bedroom.  (High class, I know). Anyway, we recently purchased Jace a new side table/bookshelf and moved this table to the play room. It holds Cohen’s small TV. I decided to give it a new coat of paint.

IMG_2595
IMG_2596
IMG_2601

It looks so much better now!!

If you are looking to do this to some of your own furniture, I’d suggest you give it a try! Get a can of your favorite colored spray paint and go to work. I could have finished both of these projects during naptime one day, but because I ran out of spray paint it took 2 days to finish, but I’d estimate I spent a total of 1.5 hours to finish both pieces. I would suggest that you get some help moving bigger pieces (my back is hurting a bit because that chest of drawers was kinda heavy).

I’d also like to mention that neither of these pieces were REAL wood. There was some wood stuff plastered together and a layer of wood looking stuff on top (that’s not the technical term, but I’m not an expert). I purchased spray paint that was good on wood or plastic, since I really didn’t know what this stuff was made from (high class furniture to start with, right?). The paint went on great and dried quick! I have no idea how this will hold up for years to come, but they look great now, and if they start looking bad later…I’ll just add another layer of paint!

1 comment:

  1. Oh, those look great! I loved how they turned out, they look completely different. (BTW, I love your curtains). I did a spray paint job this weekend too. Gotta love how easy it is to transform something with spray paint.

    ReplyDelete