Monday, May 14, 2012

How was your Mothers Day?

A little overwhelming. I have such a wonderful little family. These boys spoil me!

Church was a refreshing place to be on Mothers Day, but I certainly remember the Mothers Days in the past where I wanted to be so far away from everyone. Hidden in my house, sulking, depressed, aggravated and feeling mighty lonely. Looking back, that was an incredible selfish way to act.

This Mothers Day I had other emotions. I had never really thought much about Mothers Day being sad, until we were trying to get pregnant. Then it became the most miserable day of the year. Now, looking back, I realized that I was not the only one sad and alone on those Mothers Days. My son was too (and lots of other babies waiting for a mom and dad to love them).

See, he was 16 months when we met him, which means for his first and only Mothers Day he spent it with no Mom. It breaks my heart to think that he had no one to serve breakfast in bed, no one to share chocolate chip cookies with, and no one to kiss him and tell him that he is loved.

As many of you know, Jace and are trying to adopt again. It’s going to be a much slower process this time. On this Mothers Day, I imagined another baby, one that is meant for us, spending his/her Mothers Day all alone. It breaks my heart.

Today, I’m speaking out on behalf of all those babies, waiting. Moms, I hope that you enjoyed your day of pampering and gifts and spoiling, I know I did. I also hope that you took a minute to think of those without. I have no doubt that God has a plan for each and every one of these precious little lives. Our prayers should be that they find a forever family. But for many, that just doesn’t happen. Say a prayer for those children, that someone, somewhere shows them the love of God. The love of a Father who will never leave, One who loves them unconditionally, and desires them as His child.

John 14:18
I will not leave you as orphans; I will come to you.


Also, take time today to teach your own child about the amazing gift of Everlasting Life that our heavenly Father has promised each one of us. Our time on this Earth may be very challenging. God never promised it would be easy, in fact, the Bible actually tells us quite the opposite. What greater gift could a mother give her child, than the gift of the knowledge of Christ.

Looking back on Cohen’s first Mother’s Day in May 2009, he probably didn’t really know he was missing anything. I mean, he was like 11 months old at the time. He was content. He didn’t know any different, and I think that’s what breaks my heart. There are lots of kids out there who are content in not knowing any different. We must be careful that in our own contentment (or lack thereof), that we do not loose sight of the great plan God has for our lives and the lives of all His children.

Deuteronomy 11:18-21
Fix these words of mine in your hearts and minds; tie them as symbols on your hands and bind them on your foreheads. Teach them to your children, talking about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up. Write them on the doorframes of your houses and on your gates, so that your days and the days of your children may be many in the land the Lord swore to give your ancestors, as many as the days that the heavens are above the earth.

I know that God has not called everyone to adopt a child and welcome them with open arms into a forever family, but He has asked that we care for the “fatherless.”

Isaiah 1:17
Learn to do right; seek justice.
Defend the oppressed.
Take up the cause of the fatherless;
plead the case of the widow.

For more information on how you can help I’d encourage you to visit Show Hope. They have loads of resources on their site for how to support an orphan, how to donate money to assist with adoption costs, how to start an adoption fund at your church, and where to go to start your own adoption process.


Now, pray for those babies!

1 comment:

  1. I know you don't know me, but I think I emailed you as a reference for EAC. Anyway, I've been reading your blog and Congrats on adopting again. Will you be adopting from Russia and through EAC? We are still waiting for our referral :-(

    ReplyDelete