Friday, July 6, 2012

Are you homeschooling for PreK4?


If you’ve talked to me in the last few months, you probably already know the answer to this question, but I’m just going to put the formal answer on the blog for everyone.

Yes. Yes, I am.

Now, go ahead. Judge, disapprove, criticize, scowl, pout, condemn and object if you wish. I’d love to have an in depth conversation with anyone who wishes to do any of the above. My simple response is, “We are doing what is right for our family, at this stage.” I’ve always said that if God shows me that there is a better way to educate my child, then I’m all for it. Right now, we feel that God is leading us to homeschool another year. After that, only God knows.

Much like our decision to adopt, rather than do loads of test and drugs and fertility treatments, we wish to follow God in what is best for our family. Fertility treatments are not wrong. They are a part of God’s plan for some families. Not mine. Our decision to homeschool another year goes along that same line. Public/private school is exactly right for some families, and for others it is not. We all need to make sure we have prayerfully considered what God has in plan for our own individual family. Be careful not to make a decision based on family bias, friend’s decisions, or other outside factors. At the end of the day, we need to make sure we are following God’s plan. At the same time, we must be careful not to judge, criticize, or condemn those that choose a different path. Just because I’m not doing the exact same thing as you does not mean I’m not following God’s plan for my life.

“For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the LORD, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Jeremiah 29:11

I must say, I appreciate all the friends and family members who have supported us over the past year. As strange as homeschooling can be (mostly because it’s just not the norm), we have a wonderful support system. Over the past year, we have had the opportunity to share our homeschooling experiences with LOTS of our friends. We’ve had kids at our home playing with Cohen, listening to the books, painting and doing worksheets. We have been invited to read at a local elementary school and take a field trip with our friends to the insectarium (with their elementary school). I’ve enjoyed the past year so much and I’m really looking forward to another fun school year with my boy!

I will do a totally separate post on our curriculum choices for this year. We are making drastic changes! We had lots of fun last year learning our letters, and I know next year will be fun too!
 
As a final word, I’d like to say that the most important job I have as a parent is to share the love of Jesus with my child. It is my responsibility to teach my child about Christ, and I take that very seriously. No matter if you choose to homeschool, or to send your child to public or private school, at the end of the day, it is your job as their parent to teach them the Bible. This is not a job that should be passed on to a Sunday school teacher, Children’s minister, pastor, or even a teacher at your child’s private Christian school. It is your job as their parent!
 
“Love the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength. These commandments that I give you today are to be on your hearts. Impress them on your children. Talk about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up. Tie them as symbols on your hands and bind them on your foreheads. Write them on the doorframes of your houses and on your gates.” –Deuteronomy 6:5-9

1 comment:

  1. You are awesome!! I've seen the results of the time and energy spent working with Cohen at home and you are a fabulous teacher. All parents should be teachers preparing their children for the path ahead. Teaching them to listen is the best skill one can give to their children. Guiding them on the road to salvation should be every parents' responsibility because God tells us to do this. Keep up the good work. I've said it before - Cohen is truly blessed with parents who follow God's guidance for their family!!
    "Prepare the child for the path and not the path for the child."

    ReplyDelete