Tuesday, August 14, 2012

How was your trip to Haiti? (Day 6 and 7)


On the morning of our final full day in Haiti, we returned to the community of LaPiste and played with the children. Melanie did a great story about creation and the kids drew a dolphin on a paper plate.

This is a picture of the homes in LaPiste.

Haiti

Evidentially, this is the sign for “octopus” in creole.

Haiti

Check out that cute dolphin!

Haiti


Haiti

I don’t know if you have noticed yet, but I’m drawn to the boys. They all remind me of Cohen and as much fun as the girls are, these boys are hysterical! They were drawing all kinds of things and asking me questions and telling jokes.

Haiti

In the afternoon, we loaded up on the bus and went to a resort in order to relax and really enjoy Haiti. It’s so easy to look at this country and think of it as nothing but a 3rd world country with no hope for a future, but when you see the resort (which is fancy for Haiti, but still far below American standards), you can see hope. Hope that one day, through tourism, business development, education, and ministry, Haiti can become much more than just a struggling 3rd world country.

I have never been to the Caribbean, so I was absolutely amazed at the clear blue water.

Haiti

Haiti

What a great day!

The very next day, we all got up early for our flights home. Here are a few shots of me and my Haiti roommates, Madison, Carly and Chelsea. On our first day, our leader told us to split up by ages for room assignment. I looked around and realized at 30 years old, I was old, and I was about to be put in a room with folks my age. Madison, being just 17, was going to be put in the room with the younger girls. I kinda made a face, and I think the group leader saw me and offered to let me sleep with the younger girls. Thank goodness! Chelsea and Carly were great roommates!

Haiti

Haiti

I saw this sign at the airport. Sad day. Goodbye Haiti.

Haiti

No comments:

Post a Comment