Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Do you know the 7 wonders of the ancient world?



Earlier this month, I posted a video of Cohen reciting some of his memory work for Classical Conversations. We are 7 weeks into the program now, and I finally got him to do his History memory work on video. Each week we memorize a sentence/list and we use that as our theme to study for the week. We read books, do crafts, and take field trips based on these History topic. This may be my favorite subject I’m teaching right now. If you know me, you know my love for all things math and science, but this stuff is just so interesting! I’ve never studied Ancient Rome, Egypt, India or China. Have you?

He’s not super loud or articulate in this video, so good luck understanding what he has to say. I’ll give you a brief summary:
10 Commandments
Greek/Roman Gods
7 Wonders of the Ancient World
Split of the Roman Empire
Fall of Rome
Hinduism/Buddhism





If you are interested in teaching your kids some of these topics, I’d suggest you go to your local library and check out The Kingfisher Book of The Ancient World: From the Ice Age to the Fall of Rome. We have been using this one and we love it. It has pictures and short stories to go with most of our history sentences. Now, this is WAY over my 4 year old’s head, but he can look at the pictures and I can give him an educated summary of what happened during that time in history.

Let’s use this as proof that these kids can memorize ANYTHING!! Come on folks…get your kids memorizing stuff. If you don’t want to memorize history sentences, start with the 10 Commandments, Books of the Bible, memory verses, Presidents, famous speeches, poems, nursery rhymes, etc. I could go on for days. Get your kids brains working now! They really can do it!!

I should also mention that our “school room” is a constant work in progress. I’m trying to figure out what works and what doesn’t. Please excuse the mess. Eventually the bulletin board and white board will be hung on the wall. They work well on the floor too though.

1 comment:

  1. That's great! We work on scripture verses with Eli and it amazes me how he remembers it so well. You're right...their brains are little sponges at this age.

    Love that some of the lessons seem to be to the tune of a song. Did you do that or is it like that in the lesson for ease of learning?

    ReplyDelete