Friday, April 26, 2013

Is your child on Goodreads?

 

Goodreads: Book reviews, recommendations, and discussion

 

I LOVE GOODREADS! Goodreads is basically a website and app that allows you to track the books you have read and are currently reading. you can follow your favorite authors and receive notifications when they post a new blog or publish a new book. It also gives you recommendations on other books similar to the ones you’ve read.

 

Goodreads also allows you to rate the books you have read, write reviews, and create virtual bookshelves. I have not organized my bookshelves as well as I would like, but I’m working on it.

 

This blog post is not about my reading habits, or tracking my books (even though Goodreads is doing a great job of tracking my stuff as well). It is about Cohen and his books. I setup a Goodreads account for Cohen a few months ago, and I’m so glad I did. We used to track the books he completed on paper, but that got difficult to keep up with because the paper wasn’t always with us. I created Cohen’s account and set him up as the primary user on my iPhone. Now when we go the bookstore or the library (which we do go to both these places weekly) I can sit on the floor for hours reading to him, and when I’m done with a book, I just scan it with my phone, rate it, and add it to his lists.

 

There are lots of benefits to having a list of the books your child has read or is reading. I love that I can easily check to see if we have read a certain book prior to pulling it from the shelves. I love that I can look at the end of each month to see how many new books we have read. According to Goodreads, we have read 29 books this month (including 2 chapter books: The Wizard of Oz and Charlie and the Chocolate Factory). It’s also great because sometimes Cohen will request a certain book based on a main character or the storyline, but he can’t remember the title or the author. It’s easy to search the books we recently read to find the one he’s referring to so we can check it out from our library and read it again.

 

Goodreads offers reviews from other users, so you can check to see if this is a book your child might like. You can also search the HUNDREDS of lists of books!!

 

Here are a few lists for you to check out…

Charlotte's Web by E.B. WhiteThe Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson BurnettThe Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. LewisAnne of Green Gables by L.M. MontgomeryLittle Women by Louisa May Alcott

Favorite books from my childhood

2,564 books — 4,768 voters

 

Where the Wild Things Are by Maurice SendakThe Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric CarleThe Giving Tree by Shel SilversteinGreen Eggs and Ham by Dr. SeussGoodnight Moon by Margaret Wise Brown

Best Children's Books

233 books — 3,439 voters

 

 

Charlotte's Web by E.B. WhiteMatilda by Roald DahlHarry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. RowlingThe Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. LewisCharlie and the Chocolate Factory by Roald Dahl

Best Read-Aloud Chapter Books

334 books — 513 voters

 

 

You can easily just hit up one of these lists and just start at the top and work your way down reading books! And children’s book lists are not the only lists they have! Do you have a preteen? Or a reluctant reader? They have lists for that too! And of course, if you enjoy a good Paranormal Teen Romance like me, they have a list for you too!!

 

Now, this program does not count the number of times you read a book. It says Cohen has read 29 books this month, but I know it’s more than that, because Cohen has several books that are his favorites that we read ALL THE TIME! It will not track that.

 

 

Check back tomorrow for some great children’s book suggestions!!

No comments:

Post a Comment