Friday, September 13, 2013

What are some of your favorite books from this summer?

Well, if you are hoping for a post on the latest steamy romance, sorry, this post isn’t for you. I have been doing lots of reading on my own, and I’d love to give some suggestions, but today isn’t about me. It’s about Cohen, and the books we have been reading.

I wanted to share a few of our favorites from the past month or so.

Childrens Books - Summer 2013

First off, if you do not have a library card, GO GET ONE NOW! Most of these books are available at your local library.



This could be considered a Halloween book, because of the colors and the fact that they are “creepy” but we read it this summer, and loved it! In fact, I love the illustrations in this book. They use only black, white and orange. It’s a neat color scheme.




This book has a good lesson in it about hard work. But it also teaches about plants, and how some of the vegetables we eat are grown above ground, and others are grown in the ground (as the roots).




Oh my goodness. This book was so wonderful! Last year in our homeschooling program we learned about the orchestra and the different types of instruments. I wish I had this book back then. It even comes with a cd that reads the book to you, and when they read it, they have an orchestra playing dramatic music in the background. This would be a wonderful addition to your personal library!




I don’t allow the use of the word “hate” in my home. It’s a strong word that can be used to hurt people, so when Cohen picked up this book I almost made him put it back. I’m glad I didn’t. While I don’t love the word “hate” this is a wonderful book that talks about the benefits of reading, and how it can take you places you’ve never been before.




This book is hysterical! They go through several “rules” parents give their kids, and why it’s important to follow them. We tell our kids to eat their veggies because it’s good for them, but in reality if we don’t eat them, they keep growing and can take over the world. I was laughing all the way through this book!




I love a book that can teach a bit of history. This book goes through several major historical figures (all men) and how they changed the world. There is another version for the girls called My Name Is Not Isabella.


Last, but certainly not least, if you are looking for a good laugh and a short story with simply pictures, go get one of Mo Willems Elephant and Piggie books. The books are basically about two good friends (an elephant and a pig) and their interactions with each other.

2 comments:

  1. I won a copy of Tops and Bottoms at a teacher workshop and it's great! Can't wait to try out some of your other picks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love, love, love My Name is Not Alexander! What a wonderful way to dream and reach for the stars!!!!

    ReplyDelete