Tuesday, November 5, 2013

What do you do with yellow yarn?



photo

Last week, Cohen came home with a piece of yellow yarn. I asked him about it. We had a lengthy and funny discussion. I had to type it out and send it to his teacher so below is my email to Cohen’s kindergarten teacher.

Ok. So I noticed that Cohen came home with some yellow yarn in his folder. I asked him what the yellow yarn is for. He told me you did an experiment with it. I asked if we could do the experiment at home and he started listing out ingredients.

The first thing we needed was boiling water (I used hot tap water). Then he laid the yarn in the water. The next ingredient we needed was a small string "like the stuff you floss in your teeth." Because we are so worried about proper hygiene, I don't have any floss...so I gave him some thread. He proceeded to try to tie the thread to the yarn. The next step is to "stir with a comb for about an hour."

I'm thinking you guys are having an AWESOME time in class by this point but I'm totally confused what the educational value of this experiment is.
So I finally ask....what is the end result. What happens at the end of this experiment?
"The yarn explodes."
Now I realize that he's making all this up....so I ask him to tell me the truth. What is the yarn really for? He looks at me and in a monotone voice and says "we measured our pumpkins."
I was fully entertained by this story and had to share. Hope you have a great day!

Her response…

That totally made my day to read that story!  You have got to love a Kindergartener's imagination! Oh to be that free and inventive!  Yes, we used the yarn to measure the width and height of the pumpkins.  They used the string to find the height and width and the used cubes to measure the string.  That is too funny!!!  Well I am glad that he is keeping you entertained and I love that you went along and attempted to foster his learning!  So cute!  Unfortunately, we won't be "exploding any yarn" in class!



That boy has a very active imagination. Now if we can stop trying to blow stuff up and use it to solve real problems!

No comments:

Post a Comment