Friday, November 7, 2014

Going to Get Brooks (part 6.2)



Nanjing 10/13 @ 7:30PM

San Antonio 10/13 @6:30AM

Last photo of the Raney family of 3.



Well we got our baby! Today has been such a whirlwind.

Earlier today we found out that Brooks has been staying at a foster home in Beijing, not at the orphanage. At first we thought it was because of medical care (medical care in Beijing is better than near the orphanage). We knew that he had surgery in December in Beijing, but we were under the impression that after he recovered, he returned to the orphanage. Not the case. Instead of moving him multiple times, he just stayed in Beijing. I’m pretty upset that no one told me he was in Beijing, so we never got to meet his foster parents or see where he was actually staying. Small issues when you look at the big picture.

Honestly, I’m just happy that he’s healthy and was happy where he was staying. Also from spending more time with him, I’m pretty sure he was never put down and loved more than any other child in all of China. I’m so grateful for the wonderful ladies that looked after our little boy, and for God’s ever-present hand on his little life.

Since he was in Beijing, he had to travel 4.5 hours by train to get to Nanjing to meet up with us. The other families whose babies were at the local orphanage got to get their babies at noon today. It worked out well, because Jace and I were able to help take pictures and video of the other families as they met their babies for the first time.

We actually got Brooks at the local adoption official’s office. When we arrived, he wasn’t there yet, so we had to wait a few minutes. We didn’t have to wait long. Zhou walked over with another lady holding this adorable little boy…and it took a minute to realize he was MINE!

The official hand off photo…


(If you want to go back and see Cohen’s hand off photo click HERE)

After the hand off, there was lots, and lots of crying. Brooks was not happy that we were squeezing, loving and kissing on him. He really didn’t settle down until the lady who brought him finally left. And by “settle down” I mean he stopped being hysterical and was just crying.



I love Cohen’s face in this picture. This is him meeting his brother for the very first time. He was so excited!





Not much happier with Jace (his thoughts about Jace change pretty quickly…by tomorrow, they will be best friends).





First photo of the Raney family of 4! YAY!









We went back to the hotel and tried playing with him, rocking him, feeding him, and really nothing worked. Then I gave him one of his bottles with room temperature water in it (just water…but it was the bottle that he came with), and then he seemed to calm down and start to feel more comfortable.




I gave him a bath around 6 and rocked him for a while. Later Jace fed him and around 7 he was totally asleep, so I put him in the crib. I’m hoping all this emotion we saw today was because he was so attached to his caregivers at his foster home. If that’s the case, then the transition to us will be pretty easy, hopefully.




I must end by saying that Cohen is by far the best 6 year old ever. He sat patiently and watched all the other families get their babies at noon, and when it was over he asked, “Mom, why didn’t they give you Brooks?” I explained he was coming later. Then when we finally got Brooks at the adoption center, Cohen would pass him toys, play peek-a-boo and talk to him to try to calm him down. Such a great kid! He’s going to be an amazing big brother.

No comments:

Post a Comment